1.22.2011

Chicken Adobo (Bisaya Style)

One could easily argue that Chicken Adobo is the quintessential Filipino dish. One of the reasons that factor into making this the defining dish of the Filipino's is the fact that it's so darn easy to make. 
This past Saturday, I woke up with an unusual craving for Adobo. I must have been dreaming about it or something. I decided to get out of my apartment, get some Chicken, and start cooking.
I already had most of the things I needed, so I only needed to get some Chicken. I got on my Bike and went down University Ave. heading towards the direction of Food4Less. 

As crazy as this may sound, I'm actually quite thankful that the Spaniards colonized the Philippines. I mean, sure... they raped our women, stole valuable possessions, murdered our languages, instilled their religion upon us, and even their own culture. But, I'm also thankful the Spaniards created the spice trade. With the spice trade, spices from Southeast Asia was brought into Spanish colonies like Mexico. So, it should come to no surprise that Mexican and Filipino food can be quite similar. (Also, spices can be acquired at a much cheaper price at Mexican/Hispanic supermarkets!)



Marinade:
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. Japanese curry powder
2 cloves minced garlic
about 4 bay leaves
salt/pepper
(2-3 Chicken thighs, skin on)
Mix all marinade ingredients together with cut pieces of chicken. Cutting chicken into pieces is optional, but I always thought it allowed for a more even distribution of flavor. Allow marinade to sit for 1hr- overnight.
After letting it marinate, add about a tsp of oil into your wok/pan and add in about 1-2 cloves of minced garlic and half an onion after the pan is hot enough. Let the garlic brown before you add in your chicken. After adding the chicken, let it simmer until the chicken is cooked. Serve over rice and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment