1.19.2011

Easy Chicken Sinigang

My mom loves to drown everything she makes in gallons of water. I'm assuming it's a natural tendency for most islanders to do this as things are quite hard to come by. Ask any Filipino what their favorite dish is and a typical response would probably be Adobo or Sinigang. 
Sinigang is another popular Filipino dish that is quite simple to make. All you really need are a handful of ingredients. Any type of meat and vegetables could really be put into Sinigang. As a college student struggling to find time to fit meals in, I find cooking Sinigang to be quite productive. Throw in meat, then vegetables, add a premade soup base, taste, and add more water/soup base to your liking and you're done.

Start off with one piece of Chicken Breast. If you wish, you may cut chicken breast in chunks before starting to allow for faster cooking.
In a large pot, simmer in about a 1-2cups of water and boil it with the chicken. 
Let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes or when breast is half-way cooked. 
 Add in desired vegetables. (I used Chinese Eggplants, Long Beans[Sitaw], and Taro Root)
Typically, Onions and Tomatoes are added here as well. However, I did not have either ingredients on hand but the flavor was not compromised.

 Taro roots have a brown and fibrous skin. Peeling the skin can be somewhat tedious as the Taro root itself is quite slimy.
A lot of people tend to split it in half when making Sinigang, but I prefer to have it cubed as it allows for a more even distribution.
 Since I live in the states and "souring agents" such as Batuan are hard to come by, I use premade powder soup base to help enhance the flavor as well as make it easier for me to cook.
At about ~$0.50 per packet, it's more reasonable for me to use this rather than buying fresh tamarind, Batuan, or other "souring agents."

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Sarap talaga nito. I also have a version here, hope you can visit too. :)
    Chicken Sinigang Recipe

    ReplyDelete